Monday, April 19, 2010

Guatemalan Rice


This recipe was a family favorite growing up. It's super simple and very delicious. And if you're a vegetarian then it will definitely work for you.
What you need:
skillet
1/4 c olive oil
1 c rice
1 onion
2 c water
2 carrots, chopped
1 can corn
1 can peas
1 can black beans
1-2 cloves of garlic
some salt and pepper
shredded cheese
1 fresh tomato
tortilla chips
How:
Chop up the onion. Brown the onion and raw rice in the oil. Stir it so it doesn't burn. When brown to your liking add the water and all other veggies. Let simmer 30 minutes. Serve on a platter topped with hot black beans and cheese. Serve with tomatoes on the side. Enjoy with tortilla chips.
Made this tonight for the first time for my husband. He loved it. I made some kool-aid to go with and I got a "You're sneaky and awesome!" from him. Who knew. Hope you can be sneaky awesome with this simple dish too!

3 comments:

  1. I know I commented on this... my comment was along the lines of how this is even better than it looks.

    ReplyDelete